Make your own free website on Tripod.com

September 2002 Projects


For the September meeting of the Independent Pattern Club I attend, I am reviewing The Sewing Workshop's Nikko Jacket. Here is my muslin. I've cut a straight size Small, shortening the sleeves 2 inches. (my wonderful 6 year old took this picture!). I'm going to shorten the sleeves only 1 inch on the final jacket.


My vision is to make the jacket like the one on the cover of Threads #69, where Jane Conlon embellished hers with trapunto. Here is my test dragonfly. I like how it turned out. The tail looks really flat in this picture, but it isn't, in real life. Still, I might add a strand or two more of yarn to plump it up more.


The jacket above is on the back burner. I made this outfit as a model garment for The Cutting Table. The pattern is Lines & Angles, by Lois Ericson. Unfortunately, this outfit is a total bomb on me. Not a good choice for my figure. >sigh<


After a sewing disaster, there is nothing like a happy customer to help you recover!


I picked this fabric up at the last Canvasbacks sale. No pattern was used for this skirt, I just measured my hips, added 2 inches for ease, sewed up a center back seam, made an elastic casing and hemmed it (with a split). Easy peasy!


This is the Bristol Blouse by Textile Studio. I also picked this fabric up at Canvasbacks. I did a minor full-bust adjustment on the front, thereby adding a small dart, and I made the hem go straight across so I can wear it untucked (the pattern has a shirttail hem). Otherwise, I made no changes to this pattern. It went together very quickly and is a nicely drafted pattern. I really liked the 3/8" seam allowances, surprisingly, because I don't care for Kwik Sew patterns due to the 1/4" seam allowance. I wasn't comfortable with the idea of not using interfacing (a feature of Textile Studio and Loes Hinse patterns), so I used a layer of muslin in the collar and front plackets.


As you can see, I have been in quite the sewing frenzy this September! This the same pattern as Calvin's airplane pants, above -- New Look 6800. My first 'real' polar fleece project ever! Next time I will shorten the crotch depth, but otherwise, I'm quite pleased with how these turned out.


I have finally finished this quilt! Now it's on one of the bunk beds -- it's a bit big for it
(would be better on an actual twin bed), but we needed a quilt there, so, there it is for now.


Now the boys match. Same pattern (and kid!) as the airplane pants above,
though I shortened the crotch depth 2 inches, and I like them much better.


Lily (from NMSL) is coordinating a quilt block collection to make quilts for Project Linus. I made 20, and this is a representation of those 20. There are at least 2-4 of each block, except for the Clifford blocks, which are solo.

Back to Main Page

or

Browse through the Bridal
Take a gander at Outerwear
Check out my Quilts
Take a look at my Nursing Clothing
See my other Stuff

2002 mamafitz@ameritech.net